Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multi Active Multi Inactive
Add Reply
Great White Sharks v Pinnipeds
Topic Started: Oct 5 2013, 12:44 AM (2,943 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Catch me if you can, Jaws: Sea lion taunts Great White shark by biting its tail... because it knows it's too fast for fearsome predator

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
PUBLISHED: 11:39 GMT, 3 October 2013 | UPDATED: 12:25 GMT, 3 October 2013

A cheeky sea lion swims within the grasp of a hungry Great White Shark because it knows it's quick enough to get away.
In a 15-minute chase, the sea lion attacks the shark by biting its tail and fins before wheeling away back to the surface to breathe.
The speedy adult sea lion is just too quick for the shark, who prefers to hunt baby seals and sea lions.

Posted Image
Face to face with a killer: A sea lion taunts a Great White Shark, knowing that it is too fast to be caught

Posted Image
Cheeky: In a 15-minute chase, the sea lion attacks the shark by biting its tail and fins before wheeling away

When it becomes tired of playing with the shark, it disappears off towards the coast of Guadalupe Island off the Mexican coast.
Photographer and diver Marc Henauer, 39, from Perly in Switzerland, sailed for 20 hours from the port of Ensenada in Mexico to watch the action.
He stayed there for three days and dived five or six times a day over a 12-hour period.
He said: 'If the shark is a predator of young sea lions, it is a "gaming friend" for adults.

Posted Image
Rapid reaction: The adult sea lion is too quick for the shark, which prefers to hunt baby seals and sea lions

Posted Image
Catch me if it can: When it becomes tired of playing with the shark, the sea lion disappears off towards Guadalupe Island off the Mexican coast

Posted Image
Trailing in its wake: The sea lion swims off into the distance after having its fun with the shark

'The shark does not like it, but cannot to do anything because the sea lions are too fast.
'It is amazing to watch and we're lucky because the visibility in the clear blue water is great - we can see up to 40 metres.
'I'm not sure how fast the sea lion was but it's certainly quicker than Michael Phelps.'
To observe the sharks in the natural state, he chose not to use food to attract them.

Posted Image
Brave: Photographer Marc Henauer climbs on top of the safety cage to capture the action

At one stage he was even brave enough to climb on top of the cage without protection.
Marc added: 'I needed to get myself out the cage so I could get the perfect angle.
'I'm OK doing it because the great white shark is such an intelligent and curious animal.
'I have so much respect for them and, in their natural state, they are nothing like their bloodthirsty killer image from Hollywood films.
'A lot of people have a misconception of sharks and I want my images to be closer to the truth.
'I see it as a noble animal - a lord of the oceans as the lion is the king of the jungle.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2442406/Sea-lion-taunts-GREAT-WHITE-SHARK-biting-tail.html#ixzz2glYyQ2MQ
Edited by Taipan, Dec 7 2017, 04:43 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Full Throttle
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fantastic photos.

I've always wanted to see how sea lions behaved around sharks under the water. As incredible as it is to watch a breaching great whites I'd imagine what goes on under the surface is even more fascinating.

Edited by Full Throttle, Oct 5 2013, 01:14 AM.

Vobby
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Really impressive, sea lions are definetly supreme swimmers.
Let's add some videos:

just playing...

and antipredatory strategy

TIKI
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sea Lions are awesome critters. Don't underestimate them. Uber swimmers with crazy teeth.

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Inches from death, seal manages to escape Great White shark after balancing on the beast's NOSE

Photographer David Jenkins, from Dublin, witnessed the remarkable chase off the coast of Cape Town, South Africa
He was on a tour boat when he saw the seal perform its circus trick on top of the fearsome animal

By TED THORNHILL
PUBLISHED: 11:25 GMT, 8 October 2013 | UPDATED: 13:34 GMT, 8 October 2013

This is the jaw-some moment a lucky seal manages to overturn the odds and escape from a Great White - after balancing on its nose.
Photographer David 'Baz' Jenkins, 41, spotted the near-death battle while on board a Great White shark tour boat off the coast of Cape Town, South Africa.
As these amazing photographs show one seal escaped the jaws of death after balancing on the massive sharks nose just inches from rows and rows of razor sharp teeth.

Posted Image
Jaws-dropping moment: The seal leans on the tip of the nose of a great white shark, off the coast of South Africa

Posted Image
The chase is on: The seal narrowly evades being crushed by the jaws of the shark

Posted Image
Making waves: The seal desperately jumps away from the fearsome predator as the tour group look on

Posted Image
Heavy-going: Great White sharks can tip the scales at 5,000Ibs

Posted Image
Return journey: Photographer David Jenkins said the seals were making their way back to Seal Island after feeding when the Great White pounced

Posted Image
Size matters: Great White sharks can reach 20ft in length

Posted Image
Brush with death: The seal must use all its skill if it wants to live

Posted Image
Make it snappy: The fearsome shark leaps out of the water in a bid to snare its prey

David, 41, from Dublin, Ireland, said ‘The seals were making their way back to Seal Island after feeding out at sea and the sharks travel below them.
‘The sharks are really well camouflaged due to their dark backs and when the seal looks down it is hard to make out the shark in the dark below.
‘When the shark picks its time to attack, it can accelerate at around 25mph upwards which can send both the shark and the seal flying up out of the water.

Posted Image
Looking sharp: The shark bears its huge teeth as it chases the petrified seal

Posted Image
Fin-tastically fast: Great White sharks can reach speeds of 25mph as they breach the surface while hunting

Posted Image
Gape Town: The Great White opens wide - but the seal is still outwitting it

Posted Image
Hunger games: The shark comes within a whisker of its lunch yet again

Posted Image
Seal the deal? Not quite, with the shark failing yet again to secure a meal

Posted Image
Sea-ing is believing: The seal seems destined to be swallowing whole

Posted Image
Great escape: But then the seal leans on the tip of the nose of the shark before making its bid for freedom

‘I have seen a shark lose a tooth on a decoy breach before but never when attacking and killing a real seal.
‘The breaching sharks are amazing, the speed and agility just takes your breath away as they can explode from below without warning.
‘This seal was one lucky pup.’
The Great White shark is the world's largest predatory fish - measuring up to 20 foot in length and weighing around 5,000lbs - and can leave the water completely when attacking prey.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449505/Seal-manages-escape-Great-White-shark-balancing-beasts-NOSE.html#ixzz2hCZsultR
Edited by Taipan, Dec 7 2017, 04:48 PM.

Jinfengopteryx
Member Avatar
Aspiring paleontologist, science enthusiast and armchair speculative fiction/evolution writer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

Arovinrac
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
in the summer I was gonna go to america, whilst there i was gonna do shark diving in cape cod; and was gonna see blue sharks, makos, possibly tigers, along with other marine creatures. However, i had to go to hospital for a week cos of my asthma and we missed the trip. Howver to make up for this me and my family are going to south Africa to see cape town and a safari at kruger; whilst at cape town i am hoping to go great white sark cage diving, cos it is on my bucket list to see a great white shark, i am probably gonna got to dyer island if anyone's heard of it - its got one of the highest concentrations of GWS in the world so am almost guaranteed to see one. The thing i really want to see is gws hunting a seal.

Sam1
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've shown that to Meg fan a long time ago, to illustrate just how "agile" the omnipotent mega shark must have been.

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Great white shark probably choked to death on sea lion, authorities say

By Sarah Taillier
Updated Thu 17 Jul 2014, 5:09pm AEST

Posted Image
PHOTO: The great white shark washed up on Coronation Beach, north of Geraldton. (Supplied: Fisheries WA)

A great white shark that washed ashore in Western Australia may have choked on a sea lion, an investigation into the animal's death has found.

Earlier this week the shark, which was about four metres long, was seen thrashing in shallow waters at Coronation Beach, north of Geraldton.

Its carcass, which had been fitted with an acoustic tag, washed up on the same beach on Tuesday.

The Department of Fisheries says research scientists have found the shark had no visible signs of injury or disease, but had a large Australian sea lion stuck inside its throat.

The department's principal research scientist Dr Rory McAuley said the shark may have been thrashing around in waters trying to dislodge the blockage.

"This could explain why the shark was exhibiting such unusual behaviour in shallow waters off Coronation Beach," he said in a statement.

"Such a large object may have damaged the shark's internal organs or impeded water flow into his gills, contributing to his death.

"Alternatively, the shark may have accidentally become stranded in his attempts to get rid of the obstruction."

The department has also confirmed that the shark was tagged in South Australia in January this year.

Dr McAuley says tissue and vertebral samples were taken for future genetic, age and growth, ecological and population assessment studies.

"This information will be useful in improving our understanding about white sharks," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-17/great-white-shark-probably-choked-on-a-sea-lion2c-authorities-/5604410

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Posted Image
A great white shark launches an attack in pursuit of a Cape fur seal. Credit: Chris Fallows/ Apex Shark Expeditions

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Video & Image Gallery · Next Topic »
Add Reply