Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Ngandong Tiger 22 (81.5%)
American Bison 5 (18.5%)
Total Votes: 27
Ngandong Tiger v American Bison
Topic Started: Oct 7 2013, 08:52 PM (2,597 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Ngandong Tiger - Panthera (tigris) sondaica
The Ngandong Tiger was an extinct subspecies of the modern Tiger found in China during the middle Pleistocene. Based on some fossilized canine-teeths, a broken mandible and some humures it is estimated that it could had a weight of up to 470 kg. This measurments would had made it one of the largest and most powerfull felines of all time. It is expected that at such sizes, the animal would had been able to prey on a large variety of megafauna in it´s enviroment.

American Bison - Bison bison
The American bison (Bison bison), also commonly known as the American buffalo, is a North American species of bison that once roamed the grasslands of North America in massive herds. Their range once roughly comprised a triangle between the Great Bear Lake in Canada's far northwest, south to the Mexican states of Durango and Nuevo León, and east along the western boundary of the Appalachian Mountains. bison has a shaggy, long, dark brown winter coat, and a lighter weight, lighter brown summer coat. As is typical in ungulates, the male bison are slightly larger than the female. Plains bison are often in the smaller range of sizes, and Wood bison in the larger range. Head-and-body length ranges from 2 to 3.5 m (6.6 to 11.5 ft) long, the tail adding 30 to 91 cm (12 to 36 in). Shoulder height in the species can range from 152 to 186 cm (60 to 73 in). Typical weigh can range from 318 to 1,000 kg (700 to 2,200 lb).

Posted Image

yigit05
Oct 7 2013, 04:27 AM
ngandong tiger vs american bison
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jimmy
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
I'll give this fight even to a modern tiger or lion if they are large enough, i dont see bison as a very agile bovine to beat any large cat species which possess so much agility. Bison may be good against bulky animals like bear for example but against cats it is at too much disadvantage. It's head cannot go clear off it's shoulder line and it's neck aren't that mobile to reach the attacking cat. Bison only has brute bulldogging strength up front but rather weak in every department if faced with a large tactical carnivore like big cats.
Edited by jimmy, Oct 8 2013, 06:22 PM.

Catboy
Member Avatar
Feline, bird, fish and arthropod enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm surprised this hasn't been made before.

Anyway, I think the tiger wins this.
Edited by Catboy, Mar 12 2016, 05:57 AM.

yigit05
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
tiger win stronger bite,agility,claws,better weapons
bison more bigger,horn,hoof
55/45 win

TIKI
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
In the open field, no contest, Tiger takes this. Bison aren't as agile or dexterous enough for a quick cat like the Tiger.

thesporerex
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A 470 KG TIGER???

SpinoInWonderland
Member Avatar
The madness has come back...
thesporerex
Oct 12 2013, 08:56 PM
A 470 KG TIGER???
Nah, the method used in estimating that figure overestimates the mass of large felids. I would bet it at around the region of ~300-400 kilograms.

thesporerex
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
SpinoInWonderland
Oct 12 2013, 09:45 PM
thesporerex
A 470 KG TIGER???
Nah, the method used in estimating that figure overestimates the mass of large felids. I would bet it at around the region of ~300-400 kilograms.
That is still close to the weight of the American lion and Smilodon though, still blows my mind B-) :D

Oculus kageyamii
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
The large Tiger wins. She would have enough strength along with her agility to overcome the Bison's strength and topple the beast, where she gets on top of the bovine and eats the beast's flesh.

thesporerex
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tiger wins due to the reasons stated above
Edited by thesporerex, Oct 14 2013, 07:30 AM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Tiger.
Quote Post Goto Top

Asadas
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
thesporerex
Oct 12 2013, 10:41 PM
SpinoInWonderland
Oct 12 2013, 09:45 PM
thesporerex
A 470 KG TIGER???
That is still close to the weight of the American lion and Smilodon though, still blows my mind B-) :D
Unreliable,

Measurement are from a femur reported by Koenigsvald (1933). A long femur,similar to modern tiger not as big cave lions. Alan Turner, excluded the big cat from the list of 'Prehistoric Cats.

1.0reef
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Agreed, American Lions were also downsized a bit IIRC.

Vodmeister
Member Avatar
Ultimate Predator
This tiger was nonetheless still larger than today's Amur tigers and Bengal tigers. I would still back it over a bison, marginally.

Ausar
Member Avatar
Deathless Decepticon since '12
Anyone got a reference for this comparatively limited bison dexterity and agility (I assume they mean for a bovid)? Nevertheless, given how tigers can still at times take gaur (maybe more so than one might think) I would still give P. t. soloensis fairly good chances against a bison, but I'm not sure if it'll win more often than not.
Edited by Ausar, Aug 30 2014, 07:12 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: