Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who wins?
Pantanal Jaguar 12 (60%)
Asiatic Black Bear 8 (40%)
Total Votes: 20
Pantanal Jaguar v Asiatic Black Bear
Topic Started: Oct 9 2013, 08:30 PM (735 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Pantanal Jaguar - Panthera onca palustris
The jaguar (Panthera onca) is a big cat, a feline in the Panthera genus, and is the only Panthera species found in the Americas. The jaguar is the third-largest feline after the tiger and the lion, and the largest in the Western Hemisphere. The jaguar's present range extends from Southern United States and Mexico across much of Central America and south to Paraguay and northern Argentina. A study of the Jaguar in the Brazilian Pantanal region found average weights of 100 kilograms (220 lb) and weights of 136 kilograms (300 lb) or more are not uncommon in old males. A short and stocky limb structure makes the jaguar adept at climbing, crawling and swimming. The head is robust and the jaw extremely powerful. The jaguar hunts wild animals weighing up to 300 kilograms (660 lb) in dense jungle, and its short and sturdy physique is thus an adaptation to its prey and environment.

Posted Image

Asiatic Black Bear - Ursus thibetanus
The Asiatic Black Bear (Ursus thibetanus), also known as the Tibetan black bear, the Himalayan black bear, or the moon bear, is a medium sized, sharp-clawed, black-coloured bear with a distinctive white or cream "V" marking on its chest. It is a close relative of the American black bear with which it is thought to share a European common ancestor. It grows to approximately 130 to 190 cm (4¼ to 6¼ ft) in length. Males weigh between 110 and 150 kg (240 to 330 lb) and females weigh between 65 to 90 kg (140 to 200 lb). The bear's life span is around 25 years.

Posted Image

LeopardSeal
Oct 9 2013, 04:43 AM
Asiatic Black Bear vs Pantanal Jaguar?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cidermaster
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Epic battle but i favour the Jaguar to win a very very tough fight.

Koolyote
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Black bear seems to have a better bite force judging by the skull, and they are said to sometimes prey on livestock.
By the way I got this from Wikipedia :
"Although black bears prefer to avoid tigers, they can be extremely tenacious when attacked: Jim Corbett observed a fight between a tiger and the largest black bear he had ever seen, which resulted in the bear managing to chase off the tiger, despite having half its nose and scalp torn off."

Otherwise, I think Jaguar wins, but not easily.

Full Throttle
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Close fight, a pantherine and ursid of similar weight and dimensions would be a fierce contest.

I favor the jaguar by a small margin.

TIKI
Member Avatar
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jaguar. I like Jaguars against almost all smaller to medium sized animals. They have the weaponry, body morphology for combat while being so robust.

Catboy
Member Avatar
Cr1TiKaL
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jaguars are very formidable predators, I would favor one over a pygmy hippo, a tapir and even a lioness but however I don't think it has what it takes to beat an Asiatic Black Bear. The jaguar might have better weaponry, but it still doesn't have the strength advantage or even the size advantage. Asiatic Black Bears are not to be underestimated and they can become very big and I don't really think that a Jaguar can defeat any of these monsters:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

But I do admit, that the Jaguar has better weaponry than the Asiatic Black Bear:

Posted Image

Posted Image

To me the Asiatic Black Bear would win rather easily at average weights and max weights, but at parity the jag wins. Asiatic Black Bear 8/10.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

k9boy
Member Avatar
Carnivore
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The jaguar would win after a big ass brawl.

yigit05
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
jaguar win agility,stronger bite
80/20 win

Oculus kageyamii
Member Avatar
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Hmm...well the Black Bear (and Bears in general) would have a significant edge in durability against most carnivorous mammals, but for this particular cat the physical strength difference is either non-existent or the Jaguar is stronger than the bear. At equal weights, of course. So now it is a question of whether the bears durability (and thus, how she might utilize her greater intelligence) would hold out on the Jaguar's speed and jaws advantage. Claws and probably agility are pretty much the same, I think.

thesporerex
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think this is about 50/50, the cat has better weaponry but the bear is bigger and more durable.

ImperialDino
Herbivore
[ *  *  *  * ]
LeopardSeal
Oct 12 2013, 04:27 AM
Jaguars are very formidable predators, I would favor one over a pygmy hippo, a tapir and even a lioness but however I don't think it has what it takes to beat an Asiatic Black Bear. The jaguar might have better weaponry, but it still doesn't have the strength advantage or even the size advantage. Asiatic Black Bears are not to be underestimated and they can become very big and I don't really think that a Jaguar can defeat any of these monsters:

If you think a Jaguar beats a Lioness then you should close your account.

acmilan
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
Jag wins since leopards have seen killing bears
no problem for the most powerful cat pounds per pounds

mechafire
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In fights between cats and bears, it comes down to strength and power vs agility and killing ability. Eventhough the jaguar is the strongest of big cats, and this is a pretty small bear, the asiatic black bear comes out the victor. A cat needs to be near the bears weight to have a winning chance, but the bear is 50 % larger, it would counter the jaguars lunges and use its much higher endurance to wear out the jaguar. edge:asiatic black bear

mechafire
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
acmilan
Oct 13 2013, 10:53 AM
Jag wins since leopards have seen killing bears
no problem for the most powerful cat pounds per pounds
the bear would be stronger and be able to sustain that strength longer than the cat

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply