Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Who wins?
Asiatic Lion 15 (32.6%)
Indochinese Tiger 31 (67.4%)
Total Votes: 46
Asiatic Lion v Indochinese Tiger
Topic Started: Nov 25 2013, 07:28 PM (5,568 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Asiatic Lion - Panthera leo persica
The Asiatic lion (Panthera leo persica) also known as the Indian lion is a subspecies of lion. The only place in the wild where the lion is found is in the Gir Forest of Gujarat, India. Asiatic lions are similar to African forms, though they have less swollen tympanic bullae, shorter postorbital constriction, and usually have divided infraorbital foramen. The colour ranges from reddish-brown to a highly mottled black to sandy cinnamon grey.Their size corresponds to that of central African lions. In adult males, the maximum skull length is 330–340 mm, while that of females is 266–277 mm.[13] They reach a weight of 160–190 kg (350–420 lb) for the males and 110–120 kg (240–260 lb) for the females. The scientific record for the longest male is of 292 cm (115 in), while the maximum height to the shoulders reported is of 107 cm (42 in). Asiatic lions prey predominantly on deer (sambar & chital), antelope (nilgai), gazelle (chinkara), wild boar, water buffalo and livestock.

Posted Image

Indochinese Tiger - Panthera tigris corbetti
The Indochinese tiger (Panthera tigris corbetti) is a tiger subspecies found in Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and southwestern China that has been classified as endangered by IUCN. Its status is poorly known but the extent of its recent decline is serious, approaching the threshold for critically endangered. Panthera tigris corbetti, also called Corbett's tiger, was named in honour of Jim Corbett. Male Indochinese tigers measure 2.55 to 2.85 metres (8.37 to 9.35 ft) in length, weigh 150 to 195 kilograms (330 to 430 lb); the skull measures between 319 to 365 millimetres (13 to 14 in) in length. The average male Indochinese tiger is approximately 2.74 m (9 ft) long and weighs about 181 kg (400 lb). Large individuals can weigh up to 227 kg (500 lb). Female Indochinese tigers measure 2.30 to 2.55 m (7.55 to 8.37 ft) in length, weigh 100 to 130 kg (221 to 287 lb), with a skull length of 275 to 311 mm (11 to 12 in). The average female Indochinese tiger is approximately 2.44 m (8 ft) in length and weighs about 115 kg (253 lb). Indochinese tigers live in secluded forests in hilly to mountainous terrain, the majority of which lies along the borders between countries. Entrance to these areas is frequently restricted and as of late biologists have been granted limited permits for field surveys. For this reason, comparatively little is known about the status of these big cats in the wild. Mother tigers give birth to two or three cubs at a time.Indochinese tigers prey mainly on medium- and large-sized wild ungulates. Sambar deer, wild pigs, serow, and large bovids such as banteng and juvenile gaur comprise the majority of Indochinese tiger’s diet. However, in most of Southeast Asia large animal populations have been seriously depleted because of illegal hunting, resulting in the so-called “empty forest syndrome” – i.e. a forest that looks intact, but where most wildlife has been eliminated. Some species, such as the kouprey and Schomburgk's Deer, are extinct, and Eld's Deer, hog deer and wild water buffalo are present only in a few relict populations. In such habitats tigers are forced to subsist on smaller prey, such as muntjac deer, porcupines, macaques and hog badgers. Small prey by itself is barely sufficient to meet the energy requirements of a large carnivore such as the tiger, and is insufficient for tiger reproduction. This factor, in combination with direct tiger poaching for traditional Chinese medicine, is the main contributor in the collapse of the Indochinese tiger throughout its range.

Posted Image

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Crocodilian
Nov 25 2013, 04:39 PM
Indo-Chinese Tiger Vs Asiatic Lion
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cidermaster
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Changed my mind,did not realise the Indochinese Tiger was that big,70/30 in favour of the Tiger.
Edited by cidermaster, Nov 29 2013, 09:33 PM.

Dynasty Warrior
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Taipan,

Well, I think the sizes are very similar but I'd go with the tiger as it has about a 5-10 kg weight advantage.

acmilan
Autotrophic Organism
[ *  * ]
according to some data, asiatic male lion averages at 155-167 kg.
indochinese tigers across indian border are bengal as well, so those indochinese tigers reaching up to 227 kg, it was like mostly bengal tigers.
180 kg as average for an indochinese tiger is quite accurate. they are about same size as african lion and sightly bigger than indian lions

retic
Member Avatar
snake and dinosaur enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
this is a close match up indeed. i give the slight edge to the tiger since it is larger and asiatic lions tend to have thinner manes than african lions.

bitisgabonica
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
50/50 or 55/45 as with bengal and african lion

yigit05
Member Avatar
Kleptoparasite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
tiger win

Dynasty Warrior
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
mamba mentality
Nov 29 2013, 11:38 AM
this is a close match up indeed. i give the slight edge to the tiger since it is larger and asiatic lions tend to have thinner manes than african lions.
That is true, the appearance won't be as intimidating and the tiger would be more of the aggressor.

Molosser
Member Avatar
Ursids, Canids, and amphycionids
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Close matchup, tiger wins imho asiatic lions are formidable animals but they are smaller than African lions, the tiger here averages around 180 kg which is almost the upper weight of the lion so its bigger but the size advantage alone isn't enough, tigers are stronger than asiatic lions they take solo a prey that'll need a pride of lions. So I tend to slightly favor the tiger here 6/10

Dynasty Warrior
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
crxgalaxy
Dec 14 2013, 12:05 AM
Close matchup, tiger wins imho asiatic lions are formidable animals but they are smaller than African lions, the tiger here averages around 180 kg which is almost the upper weight of the lion so its bigger but the size advantage alone isn't enough, tigers are stronger than asiatic lions they take solo a prey that'll need a pride of lions. So I tend to slightly favor the tiger here 6/10
I agree,

Ferae
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Does any one have any info on the health of modern wild asiatic lions? Most of docs I've watched show thin animals, probably suffering mild effects of inbreeding.

Dynasty Warrior
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
Ferae
Dec 15 2013, 06:33 AM
Does any one have any info on the health of modern wild asiatic lions? Most of docs I've watched show thin animals, probably suffering mild effects of inbreeding.
I know, every movie or documentary I see asiatic lions and they look very sick...

Dynasty Warrior
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
They don't look healthy.

Tiger
Member Avatar
Tiger Expert
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The Indochinese tiger, 75/25.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Tiger wins 5.5/10
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: