Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carnivora. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who wins?
Florida Panther 18 (64.3%)
Burmese Python 10 (35.7%)
Total Votes: 28
Florida Panther v Burmese Python
Topic Started: Nov 28 2013, 03:22 PM (9,101 Views)
Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Florida Panther - Puma concolor coryi
The Florida panther is an endangered subspecies of cougar (Puma concolor) that lives in forests and swamps of southern Florida in the United States. Its current taxonomic status (Puma concolor coryi or Puma concolor couguar) is unresolved, but recent genetic research alone does not alter the legal conservation status. This species is also known as the cougar, mountain lion, puma, and catamount; but in the southeastern United States and particularly Florida, it is exclusively known as the panther. Adult female Florida panthers weigh 29–45.5 kg (64–100.3 lb) whereas the larger males weigh 45.5–72 kg (100–160 lb). Total length is from 1.8 to 2.2 m (5.9 to 7.2 ft) and shoulder height is 60–70 cm (24–28 in). Males average 130 lbs; females 70-75 lbs. The Florida panther is a large carnivore whose diet consists of small animals like hares, mice, and waterfowl but also larger animals like storks, white-tailed deer, wild boar, and even the American Alligator.

Posted Image

Burmese Python - Python molurus bivittatus
The Burmese Python (Python molurus bivittatus) is the largest subspecies of the Indian Python and one of the 6 largest snakes in the world, native to a large variation of tropic and subtropic areas of Southern- and Southeast Asia. They are often found near water and are sometimes semi-aquatic, but can also be found in trees. Wild individuals average 3.7 metres (12 ft) long, but may reach up to 5.74 metres (19 ft). In general, individuals over 5 metres are rare. Burmese Pythons are dark-coloured snakes with many brown blotches bordered in black down the back. Like all snakes, Burmese Pythons are carnivorous. Their diet consists primarily of appropriately-sized birds and mammals. The snake uses its sharp rearward-pointing teeth to seize its prey, then wraps its body around the prey, at the same time contracting its muscles, killing the prey by constriction.

Posted Image

mamba mentality
Nov 28 2013, 07:54 AM
florida panther vs burmese or african rock python
Edited by Ceratodromeus, Jul 1 2016, 12:23 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

retic
Member Avatar
snake and dinosaur enthusiast
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
at average weights the florida panther would probably win more often then not since the average burmese python is only 12ft long (according to the op) and at that length it would be at a huge weight disadvantage. however, if we use prime specimens of both species, then this is a close fight. burmese pythons are considered a threat to the florida panther population and i have posted an account of an asiatic rock python preying on a leopard, which shows that large constrictors are capable of killing big cats. however, leopards in africa are known to have killed african rock pythons, demonstrating that they are very capable of killing large constrictors. i'm not sure if a florida panther would be as good at killing large constrictors as leopards are, but florida panthers do possess quick reflexes. in my opinion, a fight between prime specimens of both species could go either way.

retic
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Catboy
Nov 29 2013, 01:48 AM
Panther 80/20.
are you using average sized specimens or prime specimens? if you are using average, then i agree that the panther wins, but if you are using prime specimens, then i think 80/20 is too high.

Vivyx
Apex Predator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mamba mentality
Nov 30 2013, 01:24 AM
Catboy
Panther 80/20.
are you using average sized specimens or prime specimens? if you are using average, then i agree that the panther wins, but if you are using prime specimens, then i think 80/20 is too high.
Not using prime specimens. If it was prime specimens then I would say 50/50 (although a big python could win), but at average weights the panther is too big, too fast, too agile and just too deadly for the python. It also has more and better weaponry.
Edited by Vivyx, Apr 10 2016, 07:48 PM.

BoomerSooner
Member Avatar
Heterotrophic Organism
[ *  *  * ]
I think the panther is agile enough to avoid being rapped up by the snake. B-)

retic
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Catboy
Nov 30 2013, 01:59 AM
mamba mentality
Nov 30 2013, 01:24 AM
Catboy
Panther 80/20.
Not using prime specimens. If it was prime specimens then I would vote for the python, but at average weights the panther is too big, too fast, too agile and just too deadly for the python. It also has more and better weaponry.
in that case i agree.
Edited by retic, Dec 2 2013, 03:58 AM.

Wolfman19
Unicellular Organism
[ * ]
At average weights, I would favor the Florida Panthera. It's stronger and has a big size advantage, and the burmese python has little advantages at average weights. Even using prime specimens, I would favor the Panther. The panther would have a grappling advantage, a stronger bite force (could potentially crush the python's skull), and sharp claws. If it's a head-on confrontation, I would favor the panther. In an ambush, I would favor the python.

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

Leopards take some very large African Rock Pythons, so I definitely think the Cougar could do same. The only difference though is Leopards evolved along side large constrictors whereas Puma concolor only deals with large constrictors in Sth America.

Mauro20
Member Avatar
Badass
Cougar. Cats will usually beat snakes.

Taipan
Member Avatar
Administrator

maker
Nov 1 2014, 10:13 PM
Cougar vs green anaconda

Here's a subspecies of Cougar v a large constrictor!

maker
Member Avatar
Apex Predator
I accidentally voted for python, but a cougar should be able to kill a python like a leopard.

Ceratodromeus
Member Avatar
Aspiring herpetologist
Taipan
Dec 2 2013, 08:37 PM
Leopards take some very large African Rock Pythons, so I definitely think the Cougar could do same. The only difference though is Leopards evolved along side large constrictors whereas Puma concolor only deals with large constrictors in Sth America.
Aware this is an old comment, but are there accounts of puma dispatching large boids?

Black Ice
Member Avatar
Drom King
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM_yM-q16Wc

Don't think Cougar find snakes as enticing as Leopard do.

Tyrant
Member Avatar
Omnivore
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
A python probably has a better chance going against a cougar than a leopard, soley based on the fact that the cougar might not know what to do with the snake.

I'd still favor the cougar though since pythons have a bad track record against cats.

Ceratodromeus
Member Avatar
Aspiring herpetologist
Exactly what I was thinking

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interspecific Conflict · Next Topic »
Add Reply